Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Jealousy and envy

When your close girlfriend shares some exciting news with you, let’s say she just returned from an extravagant vacation in Tahiti, I bet you do the same thing as I do. As I listen to her story, perhaps about details such as the in-room amenities or the expansive view from the balcony, I think how thrilled I am for my friend for having such a wonderful experience. It sounds like such an amazing trip, I wish I could go on that vacation and have that experience too. Damn it, I must admit, I'm a little bit jealous.

To be jealous in that nature is not the same as being envious. I know the two words are used mutually exclusive but I think envy is much worse. And being one of the seven deadly sins, it must be worse if God will kill you for it, right?

Envy is when you see something that someone else has, you don’t like the fact that they have it, you want it for yourself, and you don’t want them to have it anymore. The object of envy can be a material possession, a quality or talentd, an achievement or success, a relationship, or any number of things. In other words, envy is the bitch who doesn’t like you because you are more attractive, richer, smarter, with bigger or smaller boobs, or just have a better life than she does.

Friends can be jealous of each other. We can all admit it. We try not to show it but it’s human nature to desire something someone else has. The key word here being ALSO. When my friend has a wonderful experience, I sometimes want it ALSO. I don’t want it INSTEAD of her. I don’t think I should have it and she should not. I don’t think I deserve it any more than she does. Well maybe I think I deserve it just as much. But not more. Either way, these thoughts may be totally selfish, but it’s hard to control your thoughts.

With envy, the thoughts are usually negative and nasty and lead to bitchy, spiteful behavior. Like not inviting a friend to a party and rationalizing that you wanted to keep the invite list small. Bullshit! You were totally envious of your friend and purposely didn’t include her so she would miss out. So you could have fun INSTEAD of her.

Just the other day, I was told by a friend that she hated me when we first met. She said she was envious of me. That I got all the attention when in fact she wanted all the attention. Does that mean that now that we’re friends, she’s jealous and not envious? I really wasn’t quite sure what to do with that information. Either way, it was an uncomfortable conversation, even for me. My only answer is: don’t hate!

Maybe you disagree with how I use the words jealous and envy, but now you know what I think.

5 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 01, 2009

    She said she was jealous of you, not envious. Just to be clear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 05, 2009

    Do you realize how bitchy you sound in your blog? If I didn't know you...that's exactly what I would think. You make it like anyone who is in your close knit group of 3 friends are the only people you care about and everyone else is not "SNW." And you talk about what to do and not to do on a girls weekend and about being jealous of friends. You just make yourslef out to be very snobby and elitist and I'm glad that you have your friends that are worthy of your time - because I can't imagine that many would put up with that. Don't quit your day job... Because hopefully you are a better marketing director than writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Not sure who the "Catty" anonymous one is, but, I've been trying to get her to quit her day job for years to write a book like this. Her schooling and passion is writing. I won't hold it against her that she received her "journalism" degree from UF ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Brian--Anonymous #2 sounds like she never got over being picked on in middle school. I don't think you sound bitchy-I think you are funny! We are all "not SNW" to SOMEONE and we have those who aren't to us--bfd--not only does she sound envious of you, but she's one of those people who gives backhanded compliments and puts others down in order to feel better about herself. Go to therapy. Find some new friends. Stop obsessing and stalking Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 31, 2010

    number two has something stuck up her ass

    ReplyDelete