Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dog People













Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of some alone time with my dog. First we went to Starbucks together and then swimming. He didn’t point out that I probably shouldn’t have been wearing a bikini. But he also didn’t remind me to apply more sunscreen either.

I adore dogs but I’m extremely partial to big dogs. I’m not a fan of little tiny toy lap dogs that wear clothes and are schlepped around in doggie buggies. How humiliating for the dogs. Those people should just have cats or guinea pigs.

There are people who like dogs and then there are dog people. I am most definitely a dog person. People who like dogs pat your dog on the head if you happen to walk by. Dog people will cross the street to give your pooch a smooch.

People who like dogs usually don’t own one themselves. Or if they do, it’s only because their partner came with one. I feel badly for those people because they don’t have much choice in the matter. Like Samantha’s big, blubbery, sloppy-drooling bloodhound that came with her boyfriend. She likes dogs but definitely did not expect to inherit a dog that requires a towel to be strapped around the neck.

Maverick likes dogs. He had a German Sheppard once. That crazy dog ran loose in the neighborhood and terrorized the neighbors. When we moved away, Maverick willingly gave up his dog. Maverick insisted that was his last dog.

I informed him if he wanted to be with me, I was part of a human-dog package. I had to have a dog. Always. He thought after our first dog died, I’d be over it. Nice try.

We lucked out with another great Golden. Even my non-dog-loving friends like Casey because what’s not to like about an adorable, obedient, brown-eyed, blonde golden? He listens. He fetches. He finds my lost flip-flops. He curls up with me on the couch and keeps me company when I’m alone. He motivates me to exercise. He forces me to be regimented. He loves riding in the car with me. He’s got a wonderful big, black nose and a warm, pink tongue. He likes hugs. He’s my boy.

I often wonder if getting another Golden would double the pleasure or simply be an insane thing to do. I bet you can guess what Maverick thinks about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment