Friday, January 30, 2009

I deserve it!

I’m a good mother, wife, daughter and friend. I commute two hours a day. I work hard at a full-time job with a lot of responsibility. I try to always do what’s expected of me. I often put others needs before my own. I make sacrifices every day for the well-being of my family. I try to be a good person and go above and beyond. I try hard to do all the right things all the time.

So, when I want something, I think I deserve it. It’s my mantra and I want to spread the word. You deserve it! Too often, we women deny ourselves. Why?

Why do we girls wait so long between our night out when the guys get together every single week to watch football?

Why do we watch for those gorgeous shoes to go on sale when the guys just run right out and pick up a new TV or computer or phone?

Why do we have to wait for a special anniversary for that piece of jewelry we want when the guys have no problem splurging for themselves on a boat?

Why do we settle for a 3-day trip around the corner when the guys fly off to another country for a week?

Why can’t we have a kid-free Saturday afternoon just for no reason?

Slowly, I’ve been watching my mantra take hold on my girlfriends and I’m proud. One girlfriend splurged on a new ring and told me she “deserved it.” Good for her! Another girlfriend told her husband she was going out and he was going to babysit because she deserved it. Good for her!

Not that I’m proposing we become spoiled bitches. Not at all. I just hate to see the inequities of how men and women view how easily (or not) it is to make ourselves happy.

When a man wants to run to the store to pick up something he wants or needs, he just says “Honey, gotta run out for a bit, be home later!” When a woman wants to run to the store, she has to make sure the man is going to be home, get approval for the trip, and confirm that he will, in fact, watch the kids. Sometimes, that involves making sure the kids are fed or bathed or sleeping before we women can leave!

Furthermore, when a man goes away, he just announces the dates of his trip. End of story. He assumes that everything regarding the house and children will just magically be taken care of while he’s away. When a woman goes away, she has to coordinate all the kid’s schedules, lunches, homework, carpooling etc before she walks out the door. She usually also makes extra babysitting arrangements too just to give her husband a “break” from his “babysitting” duties. It’s a carefully planned itinerary that sometimes takes as much work as coordinating the Inauguration.

Believe me, we women will do whatever it takes to go away, especially when its for a girls vacation. There’s nothing like the freedom from house and children and work and man. It’s well worth whatever coordination is necessary to escape every once in a while. Why? Because I deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment