Thursday, September 4, 2008

Vacation packing hell

I’m taking a ten-day vacation to an island far, far away. Maverick and I are going to celebrate our ten year anniversary (no, we didn’t intentionally plan the 10 years/10 day thing but I like that romantic idea.)

I can't wait to go. The only thing holding back my enthusiasm is all the planning that goes into packing my suitcase. Why, women, why do we complicate such things?

When Maverick packs, it's a last minute affair. For men, it's never more complicated than brown shoes, black shoes, sneakers, flip flops...I realize as I write this that Maverick may care more about his shoes than the typical man...shorts, t-shirts, dress shirts, jeans, boxers, done. It takes him about 15 minutes and half of the stuff comes right out of the dry cleaning bags into his suitcase. He's become such an expert packer that over the years, I've watched him downsize his suitcase so that any trip he goes on for almost any length of time, all his clothes can fit into one tiny 21" suitcase.

For me, I need at least a 26", plus a shoe bag, plus a carry-on. And this is for a weekend excursion. How the hell will I manage 10 days with such little luggage? I mean, could I possibly not take every coordinating pair of shoes that goes with each carefully selected outfit? Should I try to downsize the "extra" outfits, bikinis, undies, bras, work out clothes, cover ups, shorts, tanks, socks, books, lotions and magazines that I originally planned to pack as back-ups in the event that I decide not to wear any of my planned outfits?

Consider the fact that I have to pack the outfits for many different occasions while on vacation such as what wear to breakfast. Then I need beach wear, sightseeing wear, lounge wear for between the beach and sightseeing, work out clothes, and dinner wear, and after-dinner ware ;) That's six outfits per day times eight full days. Not to mention the two days of traveling to Hawaii and back, which require the proper airplane wear--you know, something that travels well, is comfortable yet stylish, keeps me warm but isn't too hot and makes me look fabulous when I hop off the jet, spritz my face with Evian (I'm dying to do that like the Hollywood stars!) and saunter on over to the Four Seasons. Really. I just can't walk into the Four Seasons looking jet-lagged and puffy.

Which reminds me that I also have to consider what to carry on the plane. I'll need an overnight bag for which to stow my books (both novel and Sudoku puzzles); two magazines (one frivolous fashion rag and one "serious" reading of Time or Fast Company); lip glosses in several shades (because I never know what sort of lip-gloss color mood I'm in until the moment strikes me); tic tacs & gum (again, one can never be sure what the momentary preference will be); pen & pencil (can't journal in pencil and can't Suduko in pen), journal; laptop; camera; makeup bag; snacks; water; socks; hoodie; neck roll; travel guides; sunglasses; I-pod...ugh, my shoulder is hurting just thinking of all the stuff I have to carry!

So I started a packing list that will never get quite done. Instead, I'll stand in my closet for hours the night before the flight agonizing over what to bring and what not to bring. I'll wish I could just Fed Ex my closet. I'll try on several combinations and drive Maverick nuts asking "which do you like better?" then I'll get aggrevated when he doesn't chose the one I was secretly hoping he'd chose. My bedroom will be in total chaos as I painstakingly pack. My bathroom and jewelry drawers will look as if they've been ransacked by a burglar. (Because of course, aside of all the coordinating shoes, I'll need six pairs of practically identical but ever-so-slightly-different earrings and necklaces to go with the outfits.)

By the time I go to bed, I'll be totally exhausted and irritable. As I close my eyes and try to rest, I'll remember that I had forgotten to buy something I desperately wanted for the trip.

Then I'll wake up early to recheck whatever decisions I made the night before. I'll unpack a few things and if there's an inch of space left in the suitcase, I'll shove in another tank, another bikini, another pair of earrings.

If you're exhausted reading this, then you can imagine how I feel after this process. By the time I zip and lock the last bag and get into the car to make our way to the airport, I'll be completely ready for a vacation. I can't wait. I just wish going on a vacation didn't require so much work.

No comments:

Post a Comment