Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Cross #1 off my list: I'm going to Mount Everest



I've got incredible news: I am going to Mount Everest. That seems like the most ridiculous thing I could say, (and plenty of people have told me so) but somehow the concept rings very sane and logical to me.

I'm going to trek to Everest Base Camp. I haven't yet tired of saying those words aloud. I still can't quite believe it. At 17,500 feet above sea level,  this trip has been at the top of my bucket list since my first iphone when I committed a list in my Notes.

Everyone has asked me why it's held the #1 spot. It's not necessarily because it's the hardest item on my list because BASE jumping is really out of the question,  but somehow the tallest above-sea-level mountain half the world away in Nepal seemed like the most unattainable place I could imagine since I was a girl.  Of course, I also yearn for hiking Machu Picchu, seeing the penguins march in Antarctica, exploring a remote civilization in the Amazon jungle, and watching the Aurora Borealis from an Icelandic glacier, but the awe-inspiring peak of Everest, at 29,029 feet, has captivated me above all else. Summiting Everest is as unlikely as BASE jumping, but trekking to Base Camp isn't in the same realm. It's actually achievable. Now I'm on a mission.

March 2017, I'm going to shoot for the stars, top of the list, king of the hill, A number one and make my dream come true. I'm planning and preparing and researching and training. And I'm hoping above all else, that along with my determination, enthusiasm, grit and all-in mentality, I will make it.  Wish me luck!


2 comments: