Thursday, September 3, 2009

Vacation surprise

Tomorrow I'm leaving on my anniversary vacation and Maverick planned the entire trip in secrecy.

Originally, we were planning it together. I wanted rain forest; he wanted fishing. Unfortunately, it's impossible to find fish in a rain forest. After several attempts to decide on a vacation-spot together, I threw up my hands. Maverick decided to make all the arrangements himself and completely leave me out of the decision-making.

At first, I thought his idea to keep the destination secret was brilliant. I have absolutely no idea where we are going. I only know the planned activities. While the concept of a “complete surprise” was charming at the beginning, now I’m finding it quite the opposite.

What if I don’t have the right shoes? That would be a tragedy. So, maybe I’m exaggerating…just a little. (Yes, I can already hear you laughing at this one, snickering about what I would do if I don’t have the right color-coordinated flip- flop…!)

I know I could just buy whatever I forget; but in my new age of “I deserve it, but I’m still not buying it”, I’m going to try to make do with whatever I have. We’ll see how that goes.

Not having the right clothes is only a small part of it. I hate not knowing. The simple fact is that I hate secrets, unless I’m in on the secret. It’s killing me that everyone around me seems to know where I’m going. They taunt me and drop hints. But collectively, everyone’s hints make no sense, but I'm guessing it's an evil plot to
confuse me.

I don’t like to not have the opportunity to research our destination. Part of the excitement of any trip is scouring the internet, reading travel blogs and studying trip advisor to seek out the out-of-the-way treasures not in the guidebooks and the off the beaten path.

Truthfully, the main reason I hate not knowing is because it kills me to not be in control. I have absolutely no say in anything. And that goes against my grain. Maverick is enjoying this part of the secret and milking it for all he can:

What time is our flight? “Why does it matter? We'll get there when we get there.”
What’s the weather like? “
We'll definitely be having some weather. May be hot; may be cold.”
Should I pack fancy clothes or casual clothes for dinner? “Yes
What about our daytime activities you planned? “
You’ll either absolutely love them, or you’ll die trying.”


I know we’re going canyoneering, hiking, mountain biking and river kayaking. I asked for an outdoorsy, thrill-packed adventure trip. I know Maverick's going to surpass any expectations. I know it will be fantastic. My husband's always over-the-top, so I don't expect anything less from him this time. I'm actually very excited, albeit anxious, to go.

For the record, I really don't want to know the secret, even though I’ve been hassling him to tell me. I’m just very excited to have him all to myself for five days. Just us. However, I am going to give you my top 3guesses, so just in case I’m right, you’ll be my witness. I'll let you know where it is when I get back.

1) Utah
2) Colorado
3) North Carolina

For those of you that don’t know where I’m going, I’ll be sure to twitter as soon as I know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment