Monday, July 28, 2008

Here I go

So. I've decided I'm kinda "over" Facebook. After connecting with most of my past I've ever cared about...everyone from elementary school to sleepaway camp to my neighbors down the block, what am I going to do on there next?

I didn't have any interest in it until I had to do a ton of research about the Millenial Generation for work....ya know, how to motivate the 20 somethings in today's work environment. Afterwards, I felt old. It pained me that I had to read about this new technology/web thing rather than just be "in the know."

It reminded me too much of when my parents brought home our first microwave in the early 80s (or was it 70s?). They were afraid of it because they didn't know how to use it, so of course, I wasn't allowed to touch it. Even though, I inherently knew to just push the buttons...it frustrated me that my parents could be so out of the loop...So that's where I found myself a few months ago...feeling old and out of the loop.

So I joined Facebook and instantly reconnected with my past. It seems as if everyone my age has been joining the Facebook wave. It's been interesting because I got addicted to it for awhile, as it seems many before me have done as well. My friend Doug and I were talking about it both when we reconnected on Facebook and then again in person at our 20th high school reunion. There seems to be a few phases to facebook. The first is denial. Many people I told about it swear they don't want to go on there. Ever. No time...not interested in finding old friends...they give you 10 reasons why they don't want to join. Then phase two kicks in after receiving sixteen requests to join: okay, I'll give it a shot but only to see who's on here. So people create an account, maybe add a photo and some profile information. That's all they intend to really do.

Next thing you know, phase three, the addiction phase kicks in. The new facebooker finds 65 people he/she forgot mattered in his/her distant past. They start sending shots, plants, Manolo shoes, and such. They become obsessed with movie trivia, music trivia, sending booty slaps and little green men. You can always tell the newbies because in one sitting, they've shared six new applets with their friends. Those in stage three tell everyone they know they must get on Facebook too!

Then finally, after the shiny newness wears off and you've said hello to everyone and their friends and so on and so on...and I'm done. Stage 4: boredom on Facebook.

I started to get so picky with it, I even criticized my friend Andrea for accepting friendship requests from people I know she didn't care about. I called her a Fakebooker. I'm mean. :)
But even if I'm in stage four, I still have to admit I check my status a few times a week. It still is a trip to see people's updates and photos. I love that I can tag friends and then they can see it on their page. I love that everyone I know from one place is some how interconnected with friends I know from somewhere else. It makes life so much easier to upload photos and then share them with everyone.The application is genius. And I now feel a little more "with it."

So does anyone have any idea what's going to be the next big idea? I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment